What I am currently reading...

Re: What I am currently reading...

Postby Dakk » 03 Nov 2009, 19:20

I have only rea the irst 3 o the herasy books but though they were very goo. I remeber reaing SpaceMarine wich i think was one of if not the first book publishe an thought that one was really well written.

I have inished reading Magician Now and am also nearly finished Silverthorn, at wich point iu will move on to arkness at Sethanon.
Give a man a fish and you will make him confused and suspicious!
"Someone has the monday sillies."
"Hitlers Still in the Cupboard"- Grarl
Dakk

WoW Character: Dakk

Postby Saifah » 03 Nov 2009, 19:39

I absolutely *love* reading forum posts made by Dakk :D It's like doing a real life crosswords where you need a couple of letters in each word :P Watch out, Div, you might some day be accused of writing encoded messages :P
WoW Characters: Glädje, Lvl 85 Death Knight - Sweetybeast, Lvl 85 Druid - Nikodemus, Lvl 85 Paladin - Undisclosed number of alts...
Saifah

WoW Character: Glädje

Postby Big Al » 27 Nov 2009, 00:15

I have just started reading Into The Storm. It's book one in a series called Destroyermen. Interesting concept, WW1 vintage destroyer in WW2 get transported to alternate reality where humans never evolved (and According to the blurb on the back Dinosaurs still roam) They get themselves embroyaled in a war and have to choose sides and whichever side they pick WILL win (naval guns vs sails and crossbows). Quite good so far and it will be interesting to see how the writer keeps suspense when they can litterally blow any other ship out of the water.
Not even a bloodcurdling "moo" of defiance.
Big Al

WoW Character: Jintsu

Postby Rok » 16 Dec 2009, 23:36

Personally finished reading The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, not to long ago. If I am not mistaken this was Abercrombie's first major publication also.
Anyway the trilogy is set in a fantasy world similar to medieval Europe.
There are no dwarfs, elfs, orcs,... in the books, but there are some wizards. The books are written in a very dark tone, that reminded me of George R.R. Martins A Song of Ice and Fire, maybe that's why i liked the books so much. :D
...Thinking about it, i think the setting is a bit darker then the one in Martin's books to be honest.

I actually saw the first book in Dave facebook "book's i have read" thing-a-majig, saw he gave the book a good score, gave it a quick wiki search and went to the shop and bought the books.
So thank you Dave. :D

-----
Forgot to mention that i also recently read Wolf of the Plains, the first book in the Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden.
The series is based on the Mongols of the Asian steppes, basicly follows the life of Temujin ( Genghis Khan ).
I found the book really interesting and would recommend it, if you want to try some historical novels. :D

And i have the first 2 books of Jack Whyte's A dream of Eagles series. However with a lot of college stuff i just seem to find the time to start reading them. :(
Rok

WoW Character: Samtheslayer

Postby Dakk » 20 Dec 2009, 01:54

I have Just finishe Stray, the secon book in a trilogy byt Rachel Vincent. About Ware Cats an how they eal with things an stuff. Not the best review but i like it.

Planning to start Licing with the ea (think thats the title) by (for some reason the authers name escapes me at the moment). its the latest in a continuing series of Moern horror/fantasy ish books with vampires warewolves an that type of gribly. Very goo books, each one focusing on a iffrent Character but with the other ones you have encountere in earlier books as supporting cast.

Ps. Nice to hear from you again Rok.
Give a man a fish and you will make him confused and suspicious!
"Someone has the monday sillies."
"Hitlers Still in the Cupboard"- Grarl
Dakk

WoW Character: Dakk

Postby Grarl » 22 Dec 2009, 11:37

... can someone please give Div a new keyboard?!
Grarl
Site Admin

WoW Character: Grarl

Postby Saifah » 22 Dec 2009, 12:50

NO!
I find it very amusinbg to read Dakk's posts!
WoW Characters: Glädje, Lvl 85 Death Knight - Sweetybeast, Lvl 85 Druid - Nikodemus, Lvl 85 Paladin - Undisclosed number of alts...
Saifah

Postby Big Al » 26 Dec 2009, 10:49

Not even a bloodcurdling "moo" of defiance.
Big Al

WoW Character: Jintsu

Postby Davegotsu » 31 Jul 2010, 12:50

I thought I'd bring this post back from the dead!!

I'm currently reading, Judas Unchained, by Peter F Hamilton. Its the 2nd part of the Commonwealth series. I've been catching up on it as the 3rd book in the sequel trilogy is out in September and I wanted to remind myself of some of the events and characters in the first series.

Previous to that, I read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Sanderson is the author who has taken over finishing off the Wheel of Time series. I read his first novel (Elentriss) a while back and really enjoyed it, and this series is another excellent read. He's created an interesting "magic" system based on the ingesting of various metals, and has crammed a lot of plot into 3 books. Well worth a read.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I have this feeling I'm going to have a load of new RPG books to read soon (damn Gencon releases) so may have to put my fiction on hold for a bit.
http://davegotsu.blogspot.co.uk/ - A Dave-tastic Blog[/size]
Davegotsu

WoW Character: Davegotsu

Postby Saifah » 31 Jul 2010, 13:30

Sounds good!

I am currently reading Trudi Canavan's new book: Ambassador's Mission (first of a trilogy) and I am really enjoying it. It is set 20 years after The Black Magicians Trilogy and hads Dannyl, Sonea, Sonea's son and Cery as main characters.
Saifah

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Comics